State Health and Wellness
Ideas for State Association Meetings
There are many health and wellness ideas to support the personal well-being of CRNAs and student nurse anesthetists close to where they live and work.
Benefits to promoting health and wellness:
- Adds variety and networking opportunities
- Helps encourage healthy behaviors
- Provides awareness of the occupational risk of substance use disorder (SUD)
- Informs members of available AANA resources for assisting colleagues with SUD
Ideas and resources:
- Involve your state's State Peer Advisor (SPA) volunteer. All SPAs have participated in education and training for readiness to provide education and outreach in your state.
- Build awareness with the State Health and Wellness Exhibit Toolkit (link on left hand side of this page). Includes a printable version of these ideas as well as available handouts or art for the display.
- Include Health/Wellness and Substance Use Disorder Topics: there are a myriad of health and wellness topics that are beneficial to your audience. See CRNA Wellness and Substance Use Disorder Speakers (link on left hand side of this page).
- Offer Wellness Activities to your Attendees:
- There are lots of creative ideas - 5K walk/runs, yoga, tai chi, salsa dancing, Zumba, etc.
- Poll your membership - you may discover that several members are skilled to run a class or eager to lead a group of walkers or runners.
- Designate a specific meeting spot and time for runners and walkers to informally congregate and go out as a group.
- Add Fundraising Opportunities to your Wellness Display:
- Run a game or raffle to encourage social responsibility.
- Raise funds to donate to nonprofits such as the AANA Foundation for scholarships, the Jan Stewart Memorial Wellness Lecture Series fund, a local charity, or a cause related to patient safety.
- Invite AANA and State Association Leadership: AANA Leadership supports CRNA and student nurse anesthetists' wellness. Invite national and state leaders to be included in your health and wellness activities.
- Bring Wellness Resources to your Meeting Attendees:
- Post information on local houses of worship - spiritual wellness opportunity for those away from home.
- Schedule an Anesthetists in Recovery (AIR) support meeting. Your state's SPA can provide information.
- List or link to information about the hotel's fitness center or local classes.