Wellness and Substance Use Disorder Curriculum
AANA Wellness and Chemical Dependency in the Nurse Anesthesia Profession
Six online interactive learning courses available to purchase at
Wellness and Substance Use Disorder (Chemical Dependency) Modules
To give you an idea of what the interactive learning modules that comprise the WCDNAP look like, we've included a screen shot example from each of the six modules below. As the leaner progresses through the narrated modules by clicking the arrows on each slide, many of the slides include interactive elements creating an engaged learning experience. See also WCDNAP Learner Outcomes.
Module 1: Health and Wellness: The Role and Responsibility of the Anesthesia Professional
Module 2 Stress: Understanding Causes and Consequences
Module 3: Stressors Encountered in the Healthcare System and How to Cope More Effectively
Module 4: Risk & Exposure: The Signs, Symptoms, Pathophysiology and Co-morbidities of Substance Abuse
Module 5: Management of Chemical Dependency & Addiction (Intervention, Treatment/Rehabilitation, Recovery, Re-entry: Return to Practice, and Avoiding Relapse)
Module 6: Understanding the Environment for Successful Building and Sustaining of a Personal Wellness Plan
Faculty - Ideas and Additional Resources
Faculty - Ideas for Presenting the Wellness and Substance Use Disorder (Chemical Dependency) Curriculum
Some ideas to accompany your curriculum and/or utilize the Wellness/Substance Use Disorder (Chemical Dependency) modules:
Timing – it’s never too early to start:
- Assign one or more modules as an application prerequisite. Knowledge of the occupational risk for addiction before entry to nurse anesthesia school could potentially deter individuals who realize personal vulnerabilities. CE version can be used for nursing requirements.
- Include the family in orientation – show Making Lemonade video, Wearing Masks segment, and/or module 4, “Risk and Exposure: The Signs, Symptoms, Pathophysiology and Co-morbidities of Substance Abuse." Viewing would be beneficial, and perhaps lifesaving, if loved ones were aware of the risk and the tools to identify abuse.
- It is strongly recommended to provide awareness of the risk for substance use disorder as early as possible in nurse anesthesia program and also just before starting clinical.
Options to add the personal touch to the module content:
- Assign completion outside of class time, say in conjunction with Professional Aspects or other curriculum. Combine with group discussion of the content during class time to enhance the learning through individualization and reflection.
- Accompany modules with lectures, personal stories, questions, and discussions.
- Invite a CNRA in recovery to visit and tell their story, to dispel the myth “this could never happen to someone like me." Ask your State Peer Advisor for contact information.
- Review each module’s Additional Resources document for other readings and materials.
- Health and Wellness Research and Published Resources.
- Integrate related learning resources, such as:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) free online Workplace Violence Prevention Course for Nurses. Course divided into 13 units, each takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and allows uses to stop and restart the course as needed
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) substance use disorder (SUD) online CE courses and brochures
- State Health and Wellness Resources/StateWellness includes ideas for complementary activities.
- Share this SRNA page with student specific wellness information - www.AANA.com/StudentWellness
- Ensure students know about the available AANA Peer Support: helpline 800-654-5167 or AANA Peer Assistance
- "Making Lemonade: One CRNAs Story of Addiction and Recovery" for more information and to view the one hour video.
- New! AANA Learn online module in Wellness catalog, Jan Stewart Lecture: Empowering Calm Through Engaged Resilience.
Share your ideas too! Send to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll add to this growing list.
Wellness/CD curriculum ideas - PDF version
References and Supplemental Materials
- Wellness modules references and resources accompany each module and are included here with links to supplemental materials for your use. (PDFS)
- See Wellness and Substance Use Disorder Education and Research page for variety of videos including Making Lemonade, Wearing Masks, Pleasure Unwoven, and ones from the National Council State Board of Nursing
- New! AANA Learn online module in Wellness catalog, Jan Stewart Lecture: Empowering Calm Through Engaged Resilience
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) free online Workplace Violence Prevention Course for Nurses. Course divided into 13 units, each takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and allows user to stop and restart the course as needed.
- Stop BullyingToolkit - respectful conversations training video, facilitator guide, and pocket card.