Stress, Burnout and Nurse Anesthesia Professionals
There Is No Doubt About It - CRNAs and SRNAs Are Stressed!
Stress Symptoms Found in Study
Chart data highlights stress symptoms reported in 2008 survey "Stress and Burnout in Nurse Anesthesia" published in the April 2011 AANA Journal by Anthony Chipas and Dennis McKenna. See also the collection of research and published articles for the topic of stress and burnout among anesthesia professionals.
Helpful De-Stressing Resources
- If the stress experienced is traumatic, see PTSD resources
- If following a critical incident, see AdverseEvents
- Wellness/Stress/Substance Use Disorder Research Articles on stress and burnout
- Wellness in the Workplace, Emotional and Mental Well-Being and Physical Well-Being for more information.
- Student Wellness Homepage for student stress
- Wellness Milestones for articles on stress, resilience, burnout, and balance
- Ergonomics - 10 simple stretches to do anywhere
Supporting Organizational Resources
- American Institute of Stress (AIS)
- American Nurses Association:
- American Holistic Nurses Association: Holistic Stress Management for Nurses
- American Psychological Association: Stress Resources
- Andrew Weil, MD: Three Breathing Exercises
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Exposure to Stress, Occupational Hazards in Hospitals 2008
- NIOSH Research Rounds - Job Stress 2016
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) - Don't Blame Staff for Burnout - It's a Systems Issue
- Jacksonville University: How to Relieve Stress in Nursing
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH): Stress at Work
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA):
- Georgetown Nursing
- Stress Management Society
- The American Nurse: A Study in De-Stressing, 2013
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: HHS HealthBeat and Take Time to Unwind
Note: Links to external sites are provided as a convenience and do not imply endorsement. AANA Health and Wellness is not responsible for any content on these websites but hopes they help support your well-being.