Step 4 - Integrate the Evidence
The three key components of evidence-based practice are essential to evidence-based decision-making. EBP integrates the best evidence with a practitioner’s clinical expertise and also considers the patient’s preferences and values. Once steps one, two and three have been conducted, the next step is to apply the knowledge into practice. Four models for organizations are listed below to serve as resources for integrating the key components of EBP.
- The Iowa model
- Rosswurm and Larrabee’s model
- The Advancing Research and Clinical practice through close Collaboration (ARCC) model
- Kitson’s model
Additional Resources and Information on Integrating the Evidence
- Bloom M, Fischer J, Orme J. (2009), Evaluating practice: Guidelines for the accountable professional (6th Ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Online training modules are offered by Evidence-Based Behavioral-Practice EBBP.
- Keele R. (2010), Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice. Ten Steps to Success. Massachusetts: Jones and Bartlett Learning. Chapter 5 Implementing Evidence-Based Nursing Practice: An Overview.